Stuffed Butternut Pumpkin
Gluten-free and sugar-free. This bad boy does have a nice dose of cheese in it, and some meat. To avoid the dairy, sub out for eggs to bind. To avoid the meat, sub out for chopped vege (corn, capsicum & broccoli heads).
This is another dish that can be made a day or two ahead so a good one if you are meal prepping in advance. Just times everything by how many you want to make.
Ingredients (serves two)
- ½ medium sized butternut pumpkin
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Colby cheese (or parmesan)
- ½ rasher bacon
- Cup spinach roughly chopped
- Turmeric powder
- Cumin powder
- Salt (Himalayan or Celtic) and pepper
Other ingredient options
- 5 mushrooms chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Corn kernels
- Chilli, fennel seeds, thyme, coriander, chives
- Scrape out the seeds of the pumpkin, cut a small v out from just below the stem to ¾ way down the pumpkin at no more than ½ depth of pumpkin. The cut out pumpkin can be used in other dishes.
- Place ½ pumpkin on baking tray and cook at 180 C for approx. 35 mins. (NB: cooking time depends on the size of the pumpkin)
- While the pumpkin is cooking, add all of the other ingredients together and mix well.
- Take the pumpkin out and carefully (because it's hot) put the stuffing in the hole and down the cut out v.
- Return to the oven for 20 minutes. If you are not sure its cooked, a fork should go in smoothly.