Em's Staple Curry Recipe
We all have those family staples, and this is mine. No matter what season it is, no matter what's going on in my life... chicken curry is always there for me - and I wanted it to be there for you too!
You can make this curry vegan by substituting the chicken for tofu/tempeh/quorn or whatever other plant-based protein you desire. I often make just a vegetable curry with this same recipe and it's just as delicious!
The best thing about this meal is it cuts to the chase - there is no messing around, so I'm not going to do the an injustice to the whole simplicity vibe of this meal by adding a fluffy story before the recipe! Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves four)
- 800g-1kg chicken breast/thigh, diced (or substitute for vegan protein source)
- 1 large zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, skinned and cubed
- 1 sweet potato, skinned and cubed
- 2 white potatoes, skinned and cubed
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, rinsed
- 2 cans diced tomato
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp curry powder
- handful of spring onions, diced finely
- 1 tsp garlic and ginger powder (or fresh herbs)
- coconut oil (to cook chicken)
- Over medium-high heat, in a large saucepan or casserole dish, heat coconut oil and add diced chicken, turning after 3 minutes until chicken starts to whiten and cook.
- After about 5 minutes, add your root vegetables (potatoes and pumpkin) and cover saucepan, letting cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir ingredients to ensure no burning is occurring. Add all other ingredients, except for coconut milk and spring onion.
- Let sit and cook on medium-heat for approximately 20 minutes, until vegetables are softened and beautiful aroma is created.
- Now add coconut milk and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes until all vegetables are cooked and tender.
- Turn heat down and let sit for 10 minutes or so before serving.
- Garnish with spring onion.