De's GF Dumpling Stew Recipe
So, this is an all-time super special favourite in my household, and it became a favourite after being cooked just twice... I thought I would share it's delicious wintery warming goodness with you, as my beautiful friend, De, shared with me.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1kg gravy beef, diced into little cubes
- 2 tbsps gluten-free flour (I use Lupin flour)
- 20g butter
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
- 3 medium carrots, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 zucchinis, chopped coarsely
- 1 sweet potato, skinned and chopped coarsely
- 2 cups bone broth or stock
- Fresh thyme and rosemary to taste
- 1 cup GF flour (I use Lupin flour)
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped finely
- ¼ cup milk or nut milk
- Preheat oven to moderate heat.
- Coat beef in flour and shake off any excess. Over medium-heat, add beef (in batches) to large casserole dish and cook lightly in coconut oil until beef has started to brown (about 3 mins). Remove beef from dish.
- Add 20g butter to dish, along with onion, carrot, garlic, sweet potato and zucchinis. Stir until vegetables start to soften (about 5-7mins). Add wine. Cook and stir until liquid reduces to about ¼ cup.
- Once this has occurred, add beef back to dish, along with tomato paste, bone broth (or stock) and herbs. Bring to the boil.
- Once boil has been reached, cover and cook in moderate oven for 1 hour.
- Whilst casserole is cooking, make up your dumplings by simply adding all ingredients to a bowl and stirring until combined and smooth.
- After 1 hour, remove casserole from oven and uncover. Drop level tablespoons of the dumpling mixture on top of stew, evenly separated. Return casserole to oven, uncovered, and cook for another 20 minutes or until dumplings are browned lightly and cooked through.
Serve with mixed green salad or steamed green vege.